Pisgah Ranger District
Pisgah Ranger District has 400+ miles of trail,
and there are several ways to camp legally.
Please Note These Road Closures Within Pisgah:
Yellow Gap Road (FS1206)
– Closed from North Mills River Recreation Area to Wolf Ford Horse Camp (8 miles).
Courthouse Creek Road (FS140)
– Closed for timber sale operations.
Lickstone Road (FS97)
– Seasonal closure for motor vehicles. Open from September 1 – January 2.
Ivestor Gap Gate (FS816)
– Seasonal closure for motor vehicles. Open from August 15 – December 31.
Here are some of the most popular trails in the district. Keep in mind, since they are the most popular, parking can sometimes be a challenge — especially on holidays and weekends. Always park legally, not blocking roads or gates!
Let's Go Camp!
There are three ways to camp legally inside Pisgah Ranger District.
- Davidson River
- N. Mills River
- Lake Powhatan
- Sunburst (first come/first served)
- Wolf Ford Horse Camp (reservation only)
- Cove Creek Group Camp
- Wash Creek Group Horse Camp
- Kykundall Group Camp
Visit recreation.gov or call 1-877-444-6777 to make a reservation.
1000 feet from roads and trailheads. Do not block roads or gates when parking vehicles. Practice Leave No Trace principles. Pack it in, pack it out!
There are roadside camp sites at various locations throughout the Pisgah Ranger District. Camp only at designated sites marked with a brown tent sign and campsite number (AC-1 = Avery Creek Site 1). See this Roadside Camping Map & Rules for locations and information.
Love the view?
You can help ensure that sites like this remain available for generations to come.